Curious Alice is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT, Soarin
    Favorite Character
    Alice
    Credits

Re: englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    The grapefruit cake is another Brown Derby signature dish, so I decided to give it a shot. One word. Don't. I love grapefruit (and drink it daily at home). But this cake was no good at all, even though the presentation was fantastic.
    Interesting. I love this cake, even though I'm not a big cake lover...except for cheesecake.

We saw several celebs that night, including George Lucas and Anthony Daniels, and we even rode Star Tours next to Jon Stewart (whom I didn't recognize at all in person, and he's quite short).
    That's pretty cool! If you didn't recognize Jon Stewart, how do you know it was him? lol

At drop off, the bus driver didn't even open the back door for us to exit, even though she knew this was our destination and the bus was mostly empty (3 families), and when we stood up to leave, she exclaimed for all to hear that "I told you the park was closed, and you won't even be able to get in. You can get off, but you won't be able to swim. You still want to get off?" I indicated I did, and we left. I hope she got over whatever had put her in such a bad mood later, because I found her attitude extremely uncomfortable.
    Wow, that's horrible! You should report this experience to Disney when you get back home. I've had a few bad CMs, but never that bad. I once reported a kitchen worker at Columbia Harbor House who was wiping his nose on his shirt cuffs while he was getting the food ready. UGH!!!

Now, I really wanted some water slide footage for the videos I plan to make after our trip, so I filmed the whole trip down the slide. I must say this took away some of the enjoyment, but the footage turned out fantastic.
    I've done that on Test Track, but filming a water slide is very impressive!

As we pulled out of Hollywood Studios, they play music, and this time it was Bohemian Rhapsody. I started singing along (it's one of my favorite songs), and the guy next to me joined in, and before we were at Pop, about half the bus was singing "will not let you go!"
    You're a real instigator, aren't you? Sounds like fun!

When is your "Dine with an Imagineer"?

Curious Alice's Lanyard
    Mad Tea PartyMad Tea PartyAlice
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

joanna71985 is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Great Movie Ride
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    Eeek! No wonder some CMs are so rubbish!

I'm amazed that, with Disney's legendary attention to detail, they'd overlook this and allow, let's be honest, some VERY lacklustre performances on these attractions.

I'll ask for you next time Joanna - at least then we'll be guaranteed a good experience!

Yay! I like it

Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 21-25, 2014 (for now), Dream: May 11-14, 2015 (for now)
    TD Moderator

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Someone in the gift shop recognized him, and he was standing right next to me. I did a double take, and sure enough, it was him.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    You're a real instigator, aren't you? Sounds like fun!

When is your "Dine with an Imagineer"?
    Well, I was more just singing to myself at a lower volume, and the guy next to me joined in. By the time 4 or 5 of us were going, it started catching on quickly. Everyone seemed in good humor about it, and I heard a 13 year old or so ask him mom "what's that song". At the end of the song, several people clapped.

By the way, from HS to Pop is almost exactly the length of that song!

Dine with an Imagineer is on Friday, around noon.

Day 6
    ADR frustrations, What was Lost now is Found, No Remy?

Magic Moments - 1 (Surprise Phone Call at UK)
    Pics Taken - 72
    Vid for Projects Taken - 16
    Discomforts (bug bites/etc) - 0
    Unexpected Surprises - 0
    Peeves - 0

Breakfast - Milk and Coffee (Pop)
    Lunch - BBQ Cheeseburger, fries, rice crispy treat (me), chicken nuggets and fries, rice crispy treat (her) (Pop)
    Dinner - Cassolette d'escargots de Bourgongne au beurre persille, Bisque de homard, Plat de cotes de boeuf au cabernet avec pates, Fraisier sur coulis de framboise, sorbet fraise (me), Friand au Fromage, Croquette de Boeuf en Brioche, Vanilla Sorbet (her)
    Snacks - 1 Milk

Dinner Credits left - 46
    Snack Credits left - 34

After 2 days of 1am Extra Magic Hours, today we really didn't want to get up and going. We got ready leisurely, and the kid wanted to go back to Blizzard Beach. It wasn't terribly hot today, in fact most of the day was overcast. It would have been a perfect AK day, but since she wanted to go back, so off we went! Today I got lots more footage and a ton of pictures. I'm still loving the waterproof camera. We did the Tobaggan Racers and the Snow Stormers (they were the first water slides my kid ever did, and she still loves them). We headed over to the chairlift, which was a fun ride as always. She is now tall enough for Summit Plummet, and she really wanted to do it, but as we got closer to the top, she changed her mind, so we went off and got on Teamboat Springs.

The park wasn't too crowded today, probably because of the weather. It wasn't nearly as empty as it was yesterday, where we were virtually walking onto most slides, but I've seen it far worse.

We had a 1:30p ADR for Teppan Edo, and I didn't wear my watch at the water park. I didn't think to check my camera regularly either. So, I glanced at the camera and it was already 1:40. We were having so much fun, we had missed our lunch!

I was excited about Teppan, too, but we do hibachi style dining often, and I have some great ones near my house. So, outside of the fact my credit card is gonna get dinged for 20 bucks, I got over it fairly easy. Maybe we can squeeze something in later in the trip. I have several days where I didn't do any ADRs for lunch.

This is the first year that I did this many ADRs, and so far, I'm still not sure I enjoy it. I have enjoyed all of the food, and I'm certainly making better use of my Dining Plan credits, but planning out pretty much every meal has caused some frustration for me, as I like to just relax and see how the day unfolds. Having to rush off to an ADR when we are both interested in doing something else is sortof annoying. I am considering cancelling a bunch of our current ADRs and going back to doing it how we have in the past. I'll make my final decision tomorrow, as tomorrow is more like previous visits...only 1 ADR, and that's Le Cellier. This leaves the day wide open for us to do as we please.

We headed over to Winter Summerland, and played the winter course again. She decided that she wanted to keep going and play the Summer course. I have plenty of "Waterpark and more" credits on an 11 day stay, I thought, why not?

I discovered, it doesn't work that way. While you can use the credits at different locations on the same day, you can't use them at the same location on the same day. However, they did honor the "2nd round half off" policy, and it cost a bit under 12 bucks for both of us to play.

Rain was coming, and we were just putting over Sleeping Santa's belly when the attendant walked up to tell us that they were closing down. I must say, after walking both courses, I prefer the Summer Course. A lot of the holes are direct copies (outside of theme) on each side (like the Castle hole), but the Summer Course has the train obstacle, and the Ribbon Hole with a loop de loop. I wish we'd gotten to finish our round, oh well...

We left for the hotel, and the sky opened up soon after we arrived. It was merely a light drizzle at Pop, as the worst of it had passed to the north. She turned on the TV and called her mom to tell her about her trip, and I headed down to grab lunch from Pop's cafeteria.

I got the BBQ Cheeseburger for me and Chicken Nuggets for the kid. For dessert, I picked up some Rice Krispy treats. We didn't eat them, but I collect them throughout the trip whenever I can as I think they make great souvaniers for co-workers, etc. I also got two bottled cokes, which would sit in the fridge for nighttime drinks (no vending machine hassles for me tonight or tomorrow!), and filled our resort mugs for our lunch.

I wasn't expecting much out of the food, as at CBR it was always hit or miss. However, this time it was really good. The fries were fresh, and perfectly seasoned. I had to restrain myself from nibbling on them as they made my burger. The BBQ Burger was equally good, and I loved the fried onions on the top. They added a nice but subtle crunch. It wasn't oversauced, and I added some mayo to it to give it some creaminess. Not Teppan, but still a pretty good lunch. Yummers!

While I was picking up lunch, my kid had turned on the TV and found a show on Animal Planet I've never seen before called "Tanked". It is sortof like Ace of Cakes or Orange County Choppers. It's about a brother / brother-in-law from New York who moved to Vegas and started a company building custom fish tanks. It was really interesting, and if you ever see it on the lineup, give it a shot. Especially if you like Ace of Cakes. The editing and humor is very similar, and they litter the show with fun facts about tanks, fish, etc.

Frankly, I was physically exhausted at this point, so while watching TV in the hotel room for a few hours isn't what most people do at Disney, I enjoyed the break and the kid actually dozed off for about an hour (as did I).

Around 6p, the rain had stopped, and we headed off to EPCOT to catch our 8p ADR at Chefs de France (or, as my kid constantly corrects me, Fr-ah-nce). On the bus trip, I called TTC Lost and Found to check on my camera. Guess what, they had it! After answering some questions about what was on the camera, they confirmed it was mine. They had trouble finding the last video I took (the kid dancing with Zurg behind the bars) at first, and when I told them I was staying at Pop, I could tell that the Cast Member thought this wasn't my camera. She asked if I had visited any other resorts, and I told her about Jiko and Animal Kingdom Lodge. She confirmed it was mine, and even found the Zurg video. Elated, I decided that I have to head up there tomorrow. They tagged it and set it aside for me.

We went to Journey into Imagination and watched Captain EO. After Captain EO, she played in the shooting water and I bought a Captain EO t-shirt, as I'm not sure how much longer this will be here, and it's one of my favorite nostalgic things to do at EPCOT. I was very happy when they brought it back.

It was time to start wandering back to our ADR, but first I had some business to take care of. In all our trips, my kid had never had a Beverly! In fact, I hadn't either (not at Disney at least...they have it at the World of Coke in Atlanta).

Video camera on, I walked her through the other flavors, leading up the Beverly. She didn't like the ginger ale, but liked the rest. A cast member who was servicing the drink stations walked up, and appearantly caught on to what I was building up to and chimed in "The Beverly is the best drink of all!" I took a sip first, and instantly the taste brought back bad memories of an asthma medicine I had to take as a child called Theophylline. As a kid I used to call it "The Awful In", and it tasted pretty much exactly like a Beverly.

We poured her drink, and after swallowing her first sip (quickly), her face went flat. She asked me to lean over, and whispered, "If I don't like this, is that ok?" I chuckled and said, yes it was fine, and suggested she get some Fanta to get the taste out of her mouth. She quietly poured the rest of her cup down the drain, and we grabbed 2 cups of Fanta, and 2 cups of ginger ale for me.

Off to Fr-ah-nce! As we were walking, my kid asked about Kim Possible, and started chattering about how much she loved it, and asked if we could do it again this year. I said, of course, but it wasn't Kim Possible anymore. Now it's Perry the Platypus. She's a huge fan of the show, so I expected excitement. Instead, she frumped about how Perry doesn't talk and all he does is fight Doofinshmirtz and how Kim was so much more fun.

I commented that she now has her first Forgotten Disney moment, that Disney is always making changes, and there were several things that I wish they had never changed either. It didn't do much to change her mood, but in the back of my mind I pictured a middle aged version of her taking her children to Disney would remember and wish was back to the original.

We arrived about 10 minutes early to our Chefs reservation, and I went and got our name on the list. I noted that, unlike the other restaurants we've visited so far, they were using paper and printouts instead of a computer to look up our reservation. The hostess would write your name on the list, and then every few minutes would run the list back to what I assume was the Front of House Manager, who would call you for seating.

I should also mention, they were packed. All of the seats in the entrance were full, and people were camped out on the fountain outside waiting. We grabbed a seat at the fountain as close to the front door as we could so I could hear if our name was called. After 15 - 20 minutes, I became concerned. We hadn't been called, and the Manager's accent was extremely thick (all the accents tonight were thick) and his voice wasn't very loud. I gave the kid my cel phone and she started playing a game, and I moved about 10 feet away, right by the front door. After 30 minutes had elapsed, I was really concerned that I had missed our seating call, so I went back to the hostess.

She couldn't tell me, as she'd already handed off the seating list that had my name on it and was working on a new one. So, she went off to ask the manager, and came back to indicate that yes, our name had been called and we were already seated. I explained that we obviously had not been seated, and asked if we could get back on the list. I wasn't in a rush, so I didn't really mind the extra wait, but I did want to get in.

She went off again, and when she returned, she asked that we follow her. At the entrance to the restaurant, another hostess started to collect our menus and get us ready when the manager walked up, and barged into the conversation. I use this term, because that's exactly what he did. He asked my name, I told him, and he said we had not been seated, and had not been called. By now there were 2 more cast members who had "joined" the conversation, and they all started chattering in French. The interaction ended with the manager obviously chewing them out in french, and then turning to me and, with the fakest polite face I've ever seen, and asked me to sit in the corner (literally...but there were chairs there). I was amused with all of this, thinking to myself about how I've heard about the unintended rudeness of the French, and quietly chuckling that Disney was so detail oriented that they made sure to include that as well!

After a short wait, we were seated behind a pole. Illuminations was about to start up, so I took the pole seat, and gave the kid a good view of the window. I could still easily work around the pole, and if you ever get a chance to snag a window seat on a not crowded night, I can imagine that the view is a lot of fun.

Our waiter was polite, but he carried with a running theme I'd seen so far. All of them have extremely thick accents, and they all speak rather quietly. In addition, I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but they apologized constantly for everything. So much that it started to annoy me.

I could barely understand him, and when he tried to interact with the munchkin, I had to translate everything for her. However, his attitude was fun, and I could tell the restaurant was getting slammed tonight, so even though he was a bit inattentive (my drink went empty several times, and service was very slow...the whole meal took 2 hours), I give it a pass.

When you are on the Dining Plan, Chefs won't let you order off the whole menu. You have a 3 course option, or you can choose an item off the regular menu, but none of the appetizers (except for the soups). You can, however, add whatever you like as long as you are willing to pay for it. I was craving escargot. You don't find snails on american restaurant menus very often, so I opted to pay extra and get that. This meant that I had 2 appetizers, and I chose the lobster bisque for the second. Before I go on, here are translations of what I listed in the summary up top:

Me
    Cassolette d'escargots de Bourgogne au beurre persillé (Casserole of Burgundian escargots baked in parsley and garlic butter)
    Bisque de homard (Lobster Bisque)
    Plat de côte de boeuf au cabernet avec pâtes (Beef short ribs braised in Cabernet with pasta, pearl onions and mushrooms)
    Fraisier sur coulis de framboise, sorbet fraise (Fresh strawberry and cream cake, raspberry sauce and strawberry sorbet)

Kid
    Friand au Fromage (Cheese puff pastry)
    Croquette de Boeuf en Brioche (Ground beef steakon a brioche bun, served with French fries...a.k.a. a hamburger)
    Choix de Glace ou Sorbet (Choice of Sorbet, she chose Vanilla)

The escargot was very good, but I have had better. I think it needed a bit more garlic and salt. For 12 bucks, I'd do it again. Also, I enjoyed dipping the french bread in the pools of garlic butter and letting it sop up all that heart stopping goodness!

The Lobster Bisque was ok. It was put together well, but nothing noteworthy. In retrospect, I wish I'd done the French Onion instead. The fresh shredded lobster in the middle was a nice touch.

The cheese puff pastry did not interest my kid at all, and I took a few bites as well. It was ok, but I could see why she didn't care for it. It could have used a touch more cheese, and a tad less puff pastry. The salad greens that accompanied it though were very good, and the kid finished them (this from a kid who normally doesn't do salads).

The beef short ribs are a signature dish of the restaurant, and I was eagerly anticipating them. I am sad to report disappointment. The dish had several high points. The short ribs were perfectly cooked fork tender. The noodles were amazing, and they could have just given me them tossed in butter and I would have been like a pig in the mud (with the gut to match!). The onions were unnoticable, but the mushrooms had great texture and flavour.

So, you may be wondering what ruined the dish for me? The sauce. It was bitter and undersalted. It had an aftertaste, almost as if it hadn't reduced enough. The dish wasn't bad, but hardly what I had expected, and I wouldn't order it again. I only ate half, which concerned my waiter, but I didn't complain because, since so many elements of the dish were nailed, and I had nothing to compare it against, this may just be exactly how the dish is supposed to taste. It not agreeing with my palette is not a reason to complain, in my book. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love it.

The kid's frenchburger was good, and the fries were fantastic (first thin fries I've seen at Disney, and they were gone quickly. She had to chase me away from "taste testing" them!) They were so good that the kid didn't even want the ketchup, and instead used it on her burger.

On to dessert. Her vanilla sorbet was fantastic, but my dessert is the best I've had so far on the trip, and the kid and I ended up splitting it. The dessert is a wash of texture, temperature and taste variations. The cake is very soft, with a whipped heavy cream layered to add to the pillowy texture. This is broken up with fresh quartered strawberries, so you end up with a wonderful crunch with every bite. The cake also sticks very well to the strawberries, so if you aim for them, you end up with a great bite. There's a raspberry sauce on the side that adds some wonderful tang, and the sorbet was delicious. They also had white chocolate shavings under the sorbet, which was a wonderful touch. Though I wasn't overly impressed so far, this dessert is now on my "must do" list for future visits. I wonder if they'd just let me in for dessert and coffee!

I was a bit upset we didn't see Remy, but I should have done some more research before making the ADR. I had assumed (wrongly) that Remy would be a consistent feature, like a character breakfast. He isn't. Rather, he does a few shows a day, and the last one was around 5:30p.

It was about 10p, and there are EM hours at EPCOT. However, my plan was to head back to the hotel and try and get us both in bed by midnight so we could try for a rope drop at MK in the morning, but the kid had other ideas.

On the way to France, I had told her I was going to show her "something cool" in the United Kingdom, and on our walk back, she asked me to show her. So, we went off to the phone booths. Luckily, someone had decided to call in soon after we arrived, and the kid answered and had a whole conversation with them. I texted her mother, and a few minutes later, the phone rang again. I got on tape the kid going "Mom? Is that YOU?" and they chatted for a few minutes about how her trip was going.

Other people who were using the area as a photo op didn't know you could do this, and they thought it was cool. I ended up pointing out where the numbers are listed on the phones to several families. For anyone interested in doing this yourself, the numbers are:

Left Booth - 407.827.9862
    Center Booth - 407.827.9863
    Right Booth - 407.827.9861

The booths are located off to the right as you enter the UK from Canada. Look for a pathway.

We made it all the way to the "golf ball" and she saw people getting onto the ride. She loves this ride. It was a walk-on, so I said, sure, lets do it. I'm glad we did. The ride hasn't changed much, but I found myself focusing on a lot of the details I normally gloss over. The kid thoroughly enjoyed it, but I forgot to get her propped up for the picture, so for our "Future" video, her head was pretty funny. I joked that we'll just pretend it's a hairstyle from the future, and we mutually giggled for the rest of the video.

The playground at the end was very empty, and this is the first time I've actually done all of the games in one visit. There was still about a half hour left in EM, but I was done. So, we headed back to Pop.

The kid fell asleep on the bus, and I carried her to the room. I caught up on some work items, and typed up this report.

One more day down. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-imgp0056.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-imgp0057.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-imgp0058.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-imgp0060.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-imgp0061.jpg  

englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-imgp0059.jpg  
    Last edited by englanddg; 08-15-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

kid@heart is online now Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Favorite Parade
    Main St Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

So glad they found your camera! I love your daughter's 1st Beverly experience. Classic! And I literally laughed out loud at you being told to "sit in the corner". I love the phone booth story, too. Great TR so far! Can't wait to read the next installation!

kid@heart's Lanyard
    Mickey 2012Haunted MansionCaribbean BeachPolynesianSarasota Springs
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Treehouse Villas(2), Vacation Villas(2), Poly(1), Contemporary(1), CSR(1), CBR(3), POR(1), Sports(4)
    Last Trip ~ Oct 2013 (OKW)
    Upcoming ~ July 2014 (VWL)
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally ~ Golly, what a day!

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Great Movie Ride
    Credits

Glad they found the camera!

Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 21-25, 2014 (for now), Dream: May 11-14, 2015 (for now)
    TD Moderator

Winkster is online now Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

Great news about the camera!

And I'm sorry but that food does look pretty bland. A good example of how Disney "dumbs down" food to appeal to a mass audience and loses it's authenticity in the process.

Oh well - at least you have Le Cellier to come. Now that is a great restaurant!

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Day 7
    Found the Lost and Found, Resort Wifi Stinks, Cars area at AoA is lots of fun!

Magic Moments - 0
    Pics Taken - 49
    Vid for Projects Taken - 27
    Discomforts (bug bites/etc) -0
    Unexpected Surprises - 0
    Peeves - 1 (Hotel Wifi)

Breakfast - Milk and Coffee (Pop)
    Lunch - Half Rotisserie Chicken with fries by request instead of mashed potatoes, Chocolate Cake (both of us) (Cosmic Rays)
    Late Lunch - Turkey Leg with chips and a soda (both of us) (Turkey Leg stand in Frontierland)
    Dinner - Wagyu Beef Carpaccio (Beef tenderloin, capersm radish, frisee, Flagship Reserve Cheddar and lemon oil), Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup with Moosehead Beer and smoked bacon, Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon (with wild mushroom risotto and white truffle-herb butter sauce), Maple Creme Brulee (me), Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup, Sirloin with fries and green beans, Chocolate Moose (mispelling intended) (her) (Le Cellier)
    Snacks - 1 Milk, 1 Sugar/Cinnamon Almond, 1 Mickey Ice Cream, 1 soda

Dinner Credits left - 40
    Snack Credits left - 30

I am going to start this with my peeve. I absolutely despise the hotel wifi. The speed isn't bad, but it times out regularly, and erratically. I find that simply disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't help either. Sometimes I have to release/renew my IP address to get it to work, sometimes I have to open IE and agree to the Terms of Service again, sometimes I have to reboot my laptop.

It doesn't just happen on my laptop, my phone and iPad have the same issues. It drives me nuts that when I leave my computer for a few minutes, say to get a soda or pick up my laundry, I have to refresh my internet connection. To make it even more annoying, the steps I have to take to get it to work each time vary.

I hope Disney gets this right, as the service availability and speed are both ok, so this is clearly some ruleset they have for lease length, security and quality of service I suspect. Whatever it is, right now, the service is in it's infancy, and I can tell. This is exactly what the Wifi at CBR in 2010 was like, and I was so happy that they had wired service in 2011.

So, on with the day.

We woke up late...very late. I was actually ready to go at 10a, but the kid wasn't, so I let her sleep in. We didn't hit MK until around 12p, and we went first for some solid food, as she got up so late and I didn't want to eat at Pop again. I wanted to do Columbia Harbor House, but she decided on Cosmic Rays.

The place was crowded, but not uncomfortable. I planted her at a table. One thing I really like about her nearly 8 year old age is that she is now old enough that I can leave her alone for short periods of time and feel confident that she will behave herself and also be safe.

It was a good start for us, the wait was fairly short, and the Cast Member I ordered with allowed me to substitute some fries (the kids favorite) for the mashed potatoes, which was a nice touch.

We split a half a chicken, and it was decent as always. I am consistently amazed at the average level of this dish. It's never bad, and never amazing. Not dry, but not succulent. Just ok.

We watched Ray's show for about 45 minutes, and as always I loved it. It's campy, it's stupid, and the animitronics are dated. But, I still enjoy it.

Bellies full and now both mutually awake, we headed off to the park. The first ride was the Teacups, and from there we snagged a fast pass for Winnie the Pooh, and did some videos and pictures in front of Pooh's house. I wanted to go see the new Dumbo, but the kid wanted to do the Speedway, so after one of the better waits for a mid-day try that I've had there (about 30 mins), we were on board for the jerkiest "high speed" ride ever. She was bummed that she wasn't able to drive her own car, but we still had fun.

After that we wandered back to Tomorrowland, as she wanted to do Astro Orbiter. She loves it, but this ride actually bugs me. I can't tell you what it is, but I constantly feel like I'm going to fall out. I'm not afraid of heights, or even a skittish person, but this ride makes me nervous every time.

Next was our Pooh fastpass, and as usual got stuck in the queue. She loves it there, and I always end up having to tell families to move along as she gets her fill. After we defeated the tug of rope, we rode the ride, and it was time to start heading to a parade point.

We walked to Frontierland, and did our traditional pictures in the Pillory. It was close to 3p, and the parade route was already starting to get roped off. We headed over to the Turkey Leg stand, and secured seating across from the Country Bears. She chased birds for a bit while I ate my half of the leg and chips, and sipped some water.

The Brita water bottle has been fantastic for this trip, and I'm glad I have it. In the past I've spent a lot of snack credits on sodas (I have on this trip too), but I find that the water tastes fantastic, and I fill it up with ice on the way out of the hotel in the morning, so it's got some nice ice cold water already there when I refill it later in the day.

She got the lions share of the soda, and ate her half just as the Parade was pulling up. It was fun as always, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. As soon as they passed, we headed off to Aladdin.

I've heard mixed stories of how the camel spits work on this ride, from random to a CM controlling it. Whatever it was, I got shot right in the lap! This is the first time I've ever gotten wet on this ride. We both wanted to continue through Adventureland, but I got a call from work, and we had to head back to the hotel.

I spent an hour or so doing things, and she watched TV and griped about how "we never do the pool anymore!". I checked TalkDisney while I waited on a job to finish, but I still hadn't accomplished my primary mission of the day...picking up my now found camera!

So, we hopped a bus back to Magic Kingdom, and then the monorail to TTC. This was our first monorail trip so far, and I got some great dancing footage of the kid at TTC just the monorail pulled up. On the drive in on the bus, we saw the Avenger Monorail (which was running the hotel line today), and it was stopped on the track. When we got to MK, the monorail station was a mess. The resort lines are generally fun to do, and my preferance, but it was around 5p, and people were trying to get to Narcossi's, Ohana and California grille, and were freaking out that the monorail line was backed up all the way to the base.

Not a concern for us, we quickly went through bag check and used the direct line, and in a quarter hour, we were walking to Lost and Found. The building is really out of the way, but I quickly got my camera back, and it answered a question that had been nagging me about our planned Richard Petty Experience later this week. The shuttle for the Experience picks up right outside of the building. If you ever need to seek it out, just leave TTC, and go left...and keep going left past the 3rd party bus stops and the gift shop. Then keep going left. (Did I mention you should go to the left?)

After that we bought a soda (no snack credit this time) and shared it as we trundled off to the monorail to head over to EPCOT.

The monorail was empty, and it was a nice ride. The kid napped on my lap the whole way. As we pulled into the station, she asked if we could do Sourin', and I said of course!

EPCOT wasn't busy today, so we headed straight for Sourin', and I decided to cut through Innoventions. This is where my kid's 7 year old attention span kicked in. We ended up spending an hour in Innoventions, and did everything there, and walked out just as they were closing at 7p. The Fire Safety attraction and the "Make your own video game" attraction were the same as last year, and while fun, nothing to rave about. The video game wall was up, and the kid played for a while before I dragged her onto something else.

The Segway exhibit was closed, and in fact looked like it was closed for good. This sortof upset me, as I was looking forward to trying out one of their 4 wheelers. Then we went off to something neither one of us had done before, the T. Rowe Price Piggy Bank attraction.

This was so much fun! I love how they organized it as a series of mini games with an underlying theme/lesson, and getting to carry the pig around was a blast. Be sure to check it out!

After that, we went off to Sourin', and the wait was only 45 mins, but the kid said she'd rather do Journey into Imagination. Unlike yesterday, today it closed at 7p. So, after a quick snack break, we went to the Cool Spot, and got some more free soda, and then registered for Agent P.

She was skeptical in the short line, talking about how Kim Possible was better, but the registration process was exciting, and once she became "Agent K", she was all into it. We went off to Norway! A half hour or so later, we had completed the quest, and she wanted to ride the ride. Unfortunantly, it was near 8p by now, and though the wait board said 20 minutes, the line was out the door, and knowing that ride, it wasn't a 20 minute wait. No way we were gonna miss Le Cellier!

So, we signed up for Agent P again, and did Mexico. After finishing our mission (it was a lot of fun), we still had about 45 minutes to burn, so we headed over to La Cava, and I had a Cucumber Margarita and she had a Pinata. I had wanted to get some chips and guac to munch on as well, but they were already throwing out the chips, so I decided not to press my luck.

Drinks finished, we headed over to Le Cellier, taking our time to enjoy the pre-Illuminations flames and stopping at the gift shop at the entrance to the international pavilions.

We arrived right on time, and after registering with the hostess station (hrm, they used the computer too, what's up Chefs de France?)...we walked back outside to watch the opening fireworks of Illuminations. I plopped her on my shoulders, and right after they start doing the earth scene, post fireworks and fire effects, we were called to be seated.

Le Cellier, as expected, didn't disappoint. First, our server was excellent. She was conversational and really queued in to making our dining experience fun! I am a huge fan of this restaurant, and had been looking forward to it, as has the kid (she loves steak!)

I again decided on some wine at this point, even though the cucumber was still in my system, and asked the waitress to "suprise me" (same thing I did at Jiko). After a few short questions to figure out my wine pallate (for a meal like this, I like a merlot), she found a wonderful Charmes wine, 2 years old. It wasn't the best merlot I've ever had, but had a fantastic sweet aftertaste, and I thought it would be a great companion for my anticipated Filet.

I decided on an extra side (Lobster Mac and Cheese) and an extra Appetizer (Beef Carpaccio)...though I think the Carpaccio was worth it. I'd pass on the Lobster Mac and Cheese, and really only ordered it because the kid wanted it. It wasn't bad, but nothing amazing.

The kid and I both thoroughly enjoyed the Chedder soup, and she finished hers using the sourdough bread, while I ate mine pure. I wanted to try something new, but couldn't pass on the Filet, and she had a wonderful sirloin. They substituted fries for her potatoes, and she cleaned her plate.

I was stuffed at this point, and couldn't finish my entree, but there was still dessert. I had the maple creme brulee, and she ordered for herself, telling the waitress to "suprise her", something she's picked up from my wine orders.

A Chocolate Moose and a Creme Brulee later, we were walking through a mostly empty park. This wasn't as late as we did last year (it was closer to 11:30 then), we were leaving around 10:30, and apparently several other families had the same idea. Still, we got a lot of great pictures and dancing videos with the park mostly empty, and not once did we feel rushed by cast members (or even observed, as we did last year).

The Art of Animation bus arrived first, and their stop was the same as Pop, so we hopped on that one. After a short stop at the AoA food court to pick up a bag of chips for the kid, and a beer for me (Orange Blossom Brew, a local microbrew, which was pretty good), we headed off to the Cars section to walk it before heading back to our room.

It...is...fantastic.

There's a lot of detail there, and if you do it, take time to read the road signs, the bumper stickers, and the post cards. Their pool, unlike the main pool, doesn't have card readers on it, and the rebel in me wants to give it a shot, but we probably won't. I don't want to abuse things like this, lest Disney thinks they need to lock things down more. The pool is fantastic though. They used the "cone motel" for the motif, and the Cones are the table areas. It's really fun.

A short walk across Generation Gap Bridge, and we were home. She took a quick bath while I started our laundry, and fell asleep quickly. I finished our laundry, caught up on some work, archived all our pictures from both cameras, and then wrote this report.

Thanks for reading! More tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-carpaccio.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-chedder-soup.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-chocolate-moose.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-creme-brulee.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-ice-cream.jpg  

englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-infamous-pretzel-bread.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-jumble-fries.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-kids-mac-cheese.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-kids-steak.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-my-filet.jpg  

englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-not-my-best-pose.jpg   englanddg's Magical Mystery Tour (and Trip Report)!-piggy.jpg  
    Last edited by englanddg; 09-25-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    englanddg's Lanyard
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

MINI Mouse is offline Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    Epcot, but they are all really close to my hart
    Favorite Attraction
    Test Track
    Credits

Big Yaaayy for finding your camera!!

Again enjoyd reading your TR, great how you 2 experience the parks in your own way.
    Midgetgolf is still on our wishinglist and gone up a few places after reading the TR

Yeah, tell me about the French servers.... Lucky there are exceptions
    (by the way, we had that also in Morocco, could also be the language problem, as my english also isn't perfect )

Yeey, looking forward to read more, thanks for keeping us up to date and have fun!

Last edited by Curious Alice; 08-16-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    MINI Mouse's Lanyard
    Cruise Line Palm TreesMickey Cruise LineHalloween - MNSSHPHalloween - MinnieWalt Dsney World
    Looking forward to our Disney vacations

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Great Movie Ride
    Credits

Unfortunately the Segway "sample" is gone from Innoventions

Glad you enjoyed Le Cellier! I love having lunch there (and can't wait for Food and Wine, so I can get the soup regularly).

TD Moderator

mouselove is offline Cast Member In Training
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash mountain
    Favorite Parade
    Spectromagic
    Favorite Character
    Mickey and Minnie
    Credits

Your trip report is simply fantastic!

Joulz is offline Cast Member In Training
    Credits

Fantastic trip report. I had the avocado margarita on my last trip, delicious. Might have to go again to try the cucumber !!

Curious Alice is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT, Soarin
    Favorite Character
    Alice
    Credits

Another great report! Your mention of the cucumber margarita made my mouth water.

Curious Alice's Lanyard
    Mad Tea PartyMad Tea PartyAlice
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Day 8 (Part 1 of ?)
    Rumbly in the Tumbly

Magic Moments - 1 (Hotel Room Service)
    Pics Taken - 13
    Vid for Projects Taken - 4
    Discomforts (bug bites/etc) - 1 (Heat and Humidity)
    Unexpected Surprises - 1 (Sick kid)
    Peeves - 0

Breakfast - Bounty Platter, Coffee (me), Milk, leftover OJ, Mickey Waffles (kid) (Pop)
    Lunch - Haven't had it yet
    Dinner - Haven't had it yet
    Snacks - None

Dinner Credits left - 38
    Snack Credits left - 30

Today's report will probably be short content wise, as my kid isn't feeling very well at the moment. Right now I'm burning time, as the kid sleeps in the bed. I will be adding to the post later. So, lets get started...

After an early night last night (relative to previous nights), she quite literally bounced out of bed this morning and after breakfast at Pop we made it to EPCOT just after rope drop! Outside of the waffles, I am not fond of the hotel breakfasts generally, and today was no exception. The eggs were dry, the sausage was bland, and the bacon tasted like strips of rubber. But, the potatoes were good!

We had missed Sourin' last night, and it was the kids top priority. We headed over and snagged some fast passes, and then waited for the first ride. 40 minutes later or so we were on the ride. After another stop by the cool spot we did Energy Adventure and Mission: Space Green, and then Orange.

Today was hot. Temps are only in the mid-90s (which is bad enough), but to compound the matter the humidity makes it feel more like 105. EPCOT basically finished outside of Nemo (we have Living Seas ADRs later this week, so I figured we could put this off), we had planned to do some more Agent P, snag some fish and chips for lunch, and then head out the International Gateway and over to Hollywood Studios.

But, this heat was killing us, so I suggested that we head back to the hotel, get changed, and go hit up Typhoon Lagoon, with a brief stop by DD to get something from one of the Quick Service places there (I was thinking Earl of Sandwich, as it's over near the bus stop). She has fallen in love with water parks (as you probably can tell from the past few days reports), and she jumped at the idea.

I handed our unused Sourin' fast passes to what I assume was a grandmother and her grandson on the way out of the park, and they were very happy to take them. On the bus, munchkin fell asleep on my lap. The air conditioning on the bus felt fantastic, and I sipped water and let her doze away. Stepping off the bus I felt like I was stepping into Arrakis.

I could tell from the look in her eyes that she needed a longer nap then the 20 minute bus ride. I carried her to the room, and she was complaining she didn't feel well. When we got settled, I checked her forehead, and she was flushed and a bit hot. I assumed a bit of heat exhaustion, but she'd been drinking all day. Still, these things can happen. So, I toweled her off, removing any morning stickiness, and after a few minutes of this her face had returned to normal. I tucked her into bed, and she was quickly asleep.

Now, my kid has a peculiar habit that her mother says she gets from me (though I deny that!). She talks in her sleep. Normally, it's just random statements, but sometimes you can actually piece them together and I assume figure out what she is dreaming about.

Today was hilarious. She was having a scattered conversation with Goofy about how she thought he was really funny but she liked Mickey better. I was sitting across the room catching up on work emails and trying not to laugh hard. I snuck a video of her doing it that will remain in my private collection, as her sleep talking embarrasses her, but I couldn't help myself.

I felt her head again, and her temperature was normal, and her face still looked fine, so I chalked it up to heat exhaustion, and I settled into the distraction that is the internet and decided to work on organizing pictures and videos. I did post some pictures from Jiko on this thread for that post, and have other pictures to add to the other posts as well, so if you want to check back scroll through the older posts and you'll see them if you are interested.

Around 1:30p, I saw movement from the bed, and thought to myself, "Neat! She's now rested and ready to go!" Then I noticed that the movement...was not a happy wake up movement. It was going to lead to something else entirely.

I won't go into more detail about this, outside of saying that I didn't quite make it there with the ice bucket fast enough. Needless to say, she was deeply embarrassed. Nearly to the point of tears. She kept apologizing for messing up her bed, which of course I didn't mind.

Room Service showed up during all of this, but this wasn't a great time. The situation was under control now, but she was too embarrassed to let him in. When I tried to explain we needed to get the soiled items out of the room, I got "the look". I hate this look. It's where I can tell her self-control is about to break, and she's struggling to be "a young lady" instead of a "little baby" (her terms, not mine).

So, I didn't press my luck. I refused room service. In full on Daddy mode now, I helped her get cleaned up and sanitized, changed her into some clean pajamas, and tucked her into my bed, tied her hair back into a bun and positioned the now clean ice bucket on the night stand in case there was another incident, and called her mother so that she could let her know she wasn't feeling well.

I stripped her bed and made a bundle with the towels I used to clean up, and as she finished talking with her mother, and I walked the bundle down the way to a service cart, and I didn't see the attendant, so I put it in the dirty linen bag that room service lugs around with them. I felt bad about this, but I needed to get it out of the room.

Apparently, the Room Service gentleman had figured out what was going on, and about 30 minutes later there was a soft knock on the door. There he was with clean linens, extra towels, and asked if I wanted him to remake the bed. He didn't exactly say that he knew my daughter wasn't feeling well, but the look in his eyes indicated that he'd figured it out. I explained about the ice bucket, and he told me that it wasn't a problem. If I didn't mind washing it out and leaving him a note, he would be servicing my room tomorrow and would take care of it.

Not a traditional magic moment, but it really helped to have clean sheets and that he took time to come back and offer them, as well as help with my plight.

I did bring cold medicine with me, but it doesn't help with nausea (it's cough and cold). So I ran down to the gift shop and they had Childrens Immodium AD and a child's forehead thermometer (I will be adding a digital one to my packing list for future trips). When I got back to the room, the kid was awake and had turned on the TV. As Phineus and Ferb built some crazy contraption, I checked her temp, and she is spot on at 98 degrees.

Diagnoses, minor food poisoning or heat exhaustion. Before the show was over she had dozed off again.

We were planning Bongos for dinner and La Nouba at 9pm. I have no idea if this is going to happen. I suspect the thunderstorm that's on the horizon right now will cool things down so it doesn't feel like Tatooine anymore.

She was asking for soup while I was cleaning her up, and I know they serve soup over at AoA, so I think I'll let her rest for another few hours. Then we'll walk over there with her and test her stomach out. I want to be close to the room in case things go wrong. At this point I will make up my mind, and if I need to call Cirque Will Call so they can release my seats, and find out if I can move my tickets to another date (I hope I can, but my hopes are not high. Still, doesn't hurt to ask).

So, there is the day so far. I'll know more once she wakes back up.

Last edited by englanddg; 08-16-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    englanddg's Lanyard
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

kid@heart is online now Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Favorite Parade
    Main St Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

Aw, hope she feels better soon!

kid@heart's Lanyard
    Mickey 2012Haunted MansionCaribbean BeachPolynesianSarasota Springs
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Treehouse Villas(2), Vacation Villas(2), Poly(1), Contemporary(1), CSR(1), CBR(3), POR(1), Sports(4)
    Last Trip ~ Oct 2013 (OKW)
    Upcoming ~ July 2014 (VWL)
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally ~ Golly, what a day!

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Great Movie Ride
    Credits

Poor thing! I hope she's feeling better

TD Moderator

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast