Long, HOT weekend trip Aug 10-15
DVC Resales Started
    dsyplanninmomma is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Attraction
    Toy Story Mania
    Credits

First I would like to explain about this weekend. DH got a new job so since July 1st he has been at his new job which is a 16 hour drive from our home (Wisconsin to Texas).

We are currently trying to sell our house in Wisconsin, so DS, DD and I are living with my parents (6 hours from house, 13 hours from DH) until it sells.

This weekend was the first weekend we all have seen him, and the main reason why we were going to Disney World was because my brother and SIL are CMs and their son was turning 1 so we are celebrating his birthday there, and great excuse to go to Disney.

Now on with the actual trip report.

……

Arrival Day August 10th- DD (15 months) was the only one I was traveling with today, but we would be meeting DH at the airport as his flight was coming in about an hour after ours.

DS decided he wanted to be at “Mickey's place” a day earlier so he had rode down in the car with my parents. Can'’t say I blame him as I would do the same thing.

No luggage for DD and I as it was taken down in the car with my parents so just needed my lap infant boarding pass and off to security we go!

We arrived on time to Orlando and rested as she had slept about half of the flight and quietly played in my lap the rest. DH should have been about 50 min behind us but because of a flight delay ended up being an hour and 20min.

Picked up our rental vehicle and away we went.

Traffic was normal for a Friday night, but DH doesn’t like traffic and didn’t know where things were so after much discussing we decided to just go to TGI Friday’s near DTD. It seemed to be the easiest option, we thought we wanted to go to DTD for dinner but changed our mind when thinking about the DTD traffic and how busy it would be at now 7:30pm.

We finished there around 8:45pm and needed to pick up stuff from my parents at BWV, we were staying at Pop one night then staying at BWV for the next 4 nights so we would just need clothes and shower stuff for the one night.

After visiting with friends and SILs family at Beach Club, we headed over to BWV grabbed what we needed and headed to Pop and by this time it was 10pm and by the time we checked-in, made it to the room, and got the pack n play for DD it was 10:45pm.

Thought the kids would be tired and go to sleep easily, NOPE! DS fell asleep about 11:15 and DD about midnight. I didn’t sleep because I was overtired at this point, trying not to move much as I was afraid I would wake one of the kids up.

Best part of the day: Seeing DH!! DS was so surprised to see him and I loved seeing his face light up as we walked up to him.
    Lesson for the day: Don’t let DH upgrade vehicles, takes time and costs more money when I got a really good deal on the car.

Birthday Party/ Moving to BWV/Character Breakfast Day August 11th- After about 5 hours of sleep for myself, DD woke up at 6:30am. She thought it would be nice to repay her big brother for all those times he has woken her up from naps at home so we could go somewhere, the first thing she did was climb on top of him and sit on his stomach. Yep, everyone is awake now so time for showers and baths since we had an ADR at Chef Mickey’s at 9:55am but we needed to check-in at BWV first so we would have our dining plan.

After showers we decided to head over to Wal-Mart and pick up what few things we needed, like milk for DD (she can only have whole milk and I don’t want to pay Disney prices or use all our snacks for it), some fruit and snacks.

Got all of our shopping done, dropped by Pop and made sure we were checked-out and headed over to BWV. This was the first time we were using our new DVC membership, and we got the warm and fuzzy feeling when we pulled into BW and they said “Welcome Home”.

I was greeted at the entrance of the lobby by a CM that then walked me to the front desk, which I HATE! I am an adult and can walk to the front desk myself, no need to make small talk just want to check-in and get on my way (sorry for the little rant).

I had done the on-line check-in so my packet was ready, my room (of course) was not ready, so I dropped off the groceries that needed to be refrigerated with my parents. It was now a little after 9am, so we needed to get on our way to The Contemporary for our Chef Mickey’s ADR!

DS still did not know that we were going to this meal. We got checked-in and found some seats to hang out at until they were ready for us. After waiting about 15 minutes we got “buzzed” for our table!

By this time DS had figured out where we were and saw who was there, DD wasn’t old enough to understand. She got a little scared by Goofy coming up behind her to take a picture which meant the rest of the time she didn’t want to be close to any of them without me holding her
    L She didn’t scream but would grab my shirt as tight as she could. DS loved it and could barely eat because all he wanted to do was watch for the characters.

Got a text message while eating that our room was ready and we were only 6 doors down from my parents, YAY!! We were staying in a Deluxe Studio- Garden/Pool View Room, had requested a room by the quiet pool but got the feature (noisy) pool instead, oh well DD loved the music during the pool party each day.

Not too long after getting into our room my SIL brought all the food and drinks to our room for my nephews 1st birthday party we would be having later at the resort. After a much needed nap for DD, it was time for the celebration only problem was it had started to rain and the plan was to grill hot dogs and hamburgers. But like normal it only lasted a little while and the party went on!

It was nice getting to be there for his 1st birthday, my SIL’s family gets to see him quite often as all of her siblings are younger and not Adults so they go down there during most of their school breaks to visit. But I got to love on him and take lots of pictures, which is the best part!

We took a little break during the party to go play in the pool, DD LOVES the water!! The slide at BWV pool is fun, and when I exited from the slide (AKA Plunged under the water) DD giggled watching me. Everyone slept well after all the fun we had, and we all needed it too!

Best Part of the Day: Loving on my nephew
    Lesson for the Day: Don’t let a character come up behind a child for the first time, hopefully we can break the timidness over the next couple Disney vacations.
    Working on the rest of the trip report and hopefully will have it finished in the next couple days.....

Last edited by Winkster; 08-17-2012 at 02:15 AM.

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Re: Long, HOT weekend trip Aug 10-15

I can't wait to read the rest of the report!

I hope all had fun. I am still here too, and yes, it's been *very* hot.

englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

inumom2 is offline Imagineer
    Elgin, IL (a suburb about 40 miles outside Chicago)
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom, with Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Too many to list.
    Favorite Character
    Mickey Mouse
    Credits

Count me in.... I have signed up. Love the report so far. And yes characters coming up from the back can be a little unnerving.

** If you can DREAM it, you can DO it. - Walt Disney **

kid@heart is online now Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Favorite Parade
    Main St Electrical Parade
    Favorite Character
    Donald Duck
    Credits

How nice to be reunited with your husband at Disney! Looking forward to the rest of your report!

kid@heart's Lanyard
    Mickey 2012Haunted MansionCaribbean BeachPolynesianSarasota Springs
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Treehouses(2), Vaca. Villas(2), Poly(1), Contemporary(1), CSR(1), CBR(3), POR(1), Sports(4), OKW (1)
    Last Trip ~ Aug 2014 (SSR & AKL)
    Upcoming ~ Oct 2015 (OKW)
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally ~ Golly, what a day!

Winkster is offline Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

Great report! I'm looking forward to the rest now!

Last edited by Winkster; 08-19-2012 at 03:32 AM.
    Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Favorite Attraction
    Toy Story Mania
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    I can't wait to read the rest of the report!

I hope all had fun. I am still here too, and yes, it's been *very* hot.
    We may have passed each other at one point, we stayed at POP the night of the 10th and was at MK the 12th and 13th. Hope you are enjoying the rest of your visit!

Park/ Last day with DH August 12th- The plan was to meet my brother, SIL and her family at the World Showcase entrance around 10:30am.

DH, DS and I were there along with a CM friend of my brother’s that was helping get everyone into the parks that day, SIL and family not there. This is a normal occurrence but since the friend was there we went ahead and got in. Our plan was to then head to MK for the day until DH had to leave for the airport. So we hiked through Epcot and took the monorail over to MK.

This day was about spending time with our little man and letting him choose what to do, we got FPs for Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin since the return time wasn’t far off, had a snack at the Lunching Pad (Sweet Cream Cheese Pretzel… YUMM!) got photos with Buzz, then Rode the Buzz Lightyear, PeopleMover, Barnstormer, Speedway, then the Railroad from Storybook Circus to Main St.

Before heading back to the resort since DH had to get to the airport we picked up our Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom keys and cards. Sounds like a cool game, DS just doesn’t have enough patience for it yet.

Headed out and the bus was there for our resort so no waiting! DH left, of course DS started crying at the bus stop which made me tear up, but since we had a little while before our ADR at Cape May Café for dinner with everyone. DS and I headed back to MK, which turned into trying to play the sorcerers game, riding the carousel and Thunder Mountain Railroad.

We got on the bus to Beach Club and made it there 10 minutes before our ADR. If you like seafood, there are quite a few choices and I know my SIL loves it because of that. I am not big into that but found plenty to eat and my son even ate fried cod nuggets without even knowing it! After some visiting after dinner, kids and I were tired so we all headed back over to BWV. First night without DH to help get everyone to bed went pretty smoothly and both were asleep within 30 minutes.

Best Part of the Day: Spending quality time with our son while DD spent time with my parents.
    Lesson for the Day: Have DH drive car to the parks if he has to fly out that day so we don’t waste 2.5 hours going back to the resort to just come back to the park after he’s gone.

Nephew’s actual birthday/ Park day August 13- Everyone slept well, something I got blessed with is a second child that most of the time sleeps through the night in her own bed. So we all got up had a little snack in the room while getting ready and waiting on Nana and Papa to get up. I had packed DS some dino oatmeal and cereal bars since I figured we would be up well before everyone else so at least the kids would be satisfied until we went down to eat.

Again we were meeting at the park, but this time at the Hollywood Studios entrance as this is where SILs family wanted to go. My mom told my brother that that was predicted to be the busiest park that day (thanks to touring plans!) but her family was set on going there. I had never walked from Boardwalk to HS before, and unless I was really wanting a good workout before going to the parks I will never walk that again, take the boat it would be much better!

Again SILs family was not there and after waiting 30-45min brother showed up so that my mom, DS and I could go ahead and get in then head back to MK. We knew if we went there then we didn’t have to leave so early for dinner as our ADR was at Ohana’.

Got to MK and the first thing we did was pick up our set of cards for Sorcerers of MK, you can get one pack of cards per person each day you go to MK. My brother has been putting together little sets for the kids, and trying to complete one set for himself. As a payment for getting us into the parks we think it is only fair that we give him the cards he needs from what we get. On with the day.

My mom, DS , and I were getting hungry for lunch and based on everyone ‘s suggestions we went over to Columbia Harbor House. Mom was happy with the options as was I, not just the normal burger and fries. Mom got the chicken peppercorn salad and I ended up with chicken bites as I was going to eat some of moms salad.

We had picked up a FP for Peter Pan before lunch but it was the last thing we would have time for before heading to dinner, so we played one portal, rode the Carousel twice, did Mickey’s PhilharMagic twice (DS LOVED it, plus it was sprinkling outside) then went over to Peter Pan because that’s all DS wanted to do. Posted wait time said 70 minutes, the line did not look like it would take that long so we took the chance. Only a 35 min wait and we were on! By the time we got off our FPs we had picked up earlier were 20 min away, I handed them to some people and said enjoy!

We headed over to the Polynesian and I checked-in while my mom went to the bar to get us some drinks while we waited. If you had already noticed a trend, our ADR was at 5pm and SILs family showed up at 5:15. It was a wonderful dinner, the kids had fun, my son talked the server into Buzz Lightyear juice and a special meal of chicken nuggets with fries. The dessert was amazing, could have eaten a whole plate for myself but I instead shared since I wanted to come back home with no weight gain!

After dinner mom, dad and DD headed back to the resort while DS, SILs family and I all went back over to MK. We were able to do Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain, got stuck in the boat on splash right before we were to get off and DS almost fell asleep, ha ha! Headed out of MK and got on the bus just as Wishes started, DS again fell asleep on the bus but luckily woke up as I was carrying him off so he walked to the room. My mom already had DD in bed, and had pulled out the bed for DS so all we had to do was put PJs on and go to bed.

Best Part of the Day: Eating dinner at Ohana’ for the first time and for my nephew’s birthday, and riding Splash Mountain with my son!
    Lesson for the Day: Which this is something I actually have already learned, SILs family is NEVER on time so don’t expect it.

Misc Day- We didn’t have many plans, mainly getting some things done for my brother. I had to test my memorization skills and drive his car out to where we works (Cast Member Recreation Retreat), and I did well with no wrong turns! My dad needed to pick up a part for his car and DD was asleep so we went along instead of hanging out at the outlets. By the time we got back to the resort, there was a meet and greet going on at one of the restaurants on Boardwalk with the owner/chef. Which is where we decided to get an ADR for that evening as something different that we hadn’t tried before.

After some lunch and pool time it started to thunder and lightning. Went back to the rooms to shower and get ready for dinner, plus do some packing as we were leaving the next day. Headed down to the restaurant which was Kouzzina on the Boardwalk. If any of you know about this place (or has eaten there) the owner/chef I am talking about is Cat Cora. She was so nice and ended up being there during dinner service, she spent so much time at our table as I had met her earlier and she enjoyed playing with DD. Also, if any of you like to watch Food Network another “star” was there that night as well, Robert Irvine which I met as I was walking DD in the stroller around the Sweets store and down the bathroom hallway. He was waiting on his wife and kids to come out of the bathroom, and obviously hiding his face by texting on his phone the whole time so I just said Hi and kept walking.

Dinner was wonderful, I am a pretty picky eater but tried the Greek Lasagna for an entrée and Baklava for dessert and it was good! Kids meals there are inexpensive as well (around $ 5.50).

After dinner, we watched some performers on the Boardwalk before heading up to bed. DD had already fallen asleep on my dads shoulder, which made bed time easy!

Best Part of the Day: Meeting Cat Cora (and running into Robert Irvine) and her being so wonderful to my daughter that was making a complete mess of the floor with her macaroni and snacks.
    Lesson for the Day: Always have some type of camera on you as you never know who you are going to see walking down a bathroom hallway!

Departure Day August 15- Got up had shower/baths, finished packing stuff up, organizing things to make sure I had everything for the plane rides home. Went down and used up all of my remaining meal/snack credits, got some things for the plane which always helps. Checked my bag and got DS and I’s boarding pass, they no longer give you an infant pass so I still have to go to the counter at the airport to get that (UGH! The one thing I LOVED about airline check-in at the resort but guess in another year it won’t matter as she will have her own ticket).

After all of that we still had an hour or so before ME pick up time, my mom went and got some Disney Dollars for our next trip and we just let the kids “play” in the lobby to run off some energy. DS found the model of the Dream and would stand there and just study it, at first said he didn’t want to go on it but after more staring her decided he did. Glad he said that, even though we aren’t going on the Dream or Fantasy, since we are going on a 7-night Disney Cruise in October.

Almost exactly at my pick up time the Mears bus showed up, DS was sad that it wasn’t a blue mickey bus, but I was just glad it was there. After a stop at CBR to pick up quite a few people we were on our way to the airport. Arrived and went to the Southwest check-in desk where I got the infant pass and decided to check one more piece so I didn’t have to worry about it until we got home. We had a layover so anything I carried I would have to get on and off two planes. We were on time for both flights made it to our airport and made it home (parents house) within 2 hours.

Best Part of the Day: Seeing my brother, SIL and Nephew before we left knowing when we would be back SILs family would not be there
    Lesson for the Day: Ask for a late check-out so the kids could have just played in our room and not worried about bothering others or chasing (mainly DD) the kids around. They are really good and I think it bothered me more than anyone else.

Because this trip was really “planned” by my SIL for all the meals (except one) and daily activities (parks or pool) It was not how I would do it but still enjoyed my time with them. I think she has even said she isn’t going to let them waste her park tickets anymore by not getting there until noon when there are dinner plans outside of the park that day. Over all it was a nice and much needed visit with DH, we got to do some fun things and it is getting us even more excited for our trip in September.

Last edited by Winkster; 08-19-2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Favorite Attraction
    Toy Story Mania
    Credits

Here are a few "extras" for you all to enjoy....

DS riding Barnstormer

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long, HOT weekend trip Aug 10-15-photo-9-.jpg   Long, HOT weekend trip Aug 10-15-38155610001.jpg   Long, HOT weekend trip Aug 10-15-photo-8-.jpg  
    Last edited by Winkster; 08-19-2012 at 03:17 AM.

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Fantastic visit. I'm so jealous you got to meet Kat and Robert. I'm a HUGE food network fan!

I've been told that Kouzzina is worth it, but I skip it every time. I have a few days left, maybe I should fiddle with my ADRs...

It sounds like you all had a great time, and yeah, you probably passed right by me. I'm a tall ugly guy, and the kid is a beautiful little girl with braids.

Wonderful trip report, and I loved the video and additions. Especially the video, his face was priceless!

englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

Favorite Attraction
    Toy Story Mania
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg
    Fantastic visit. I'm so jealous you got to meet Kat and Robert. I'm a HUGE food network fan!

I've been told that Kouzzina is worth it, but I skip it every time. I have a few days left, maybe I should fiddle with my ADRs...

It sounds like you all had a great time, and yeah, you probably passed right by me. I'm a tall ugly guy, and the kid is a beautiful little girl with braids.

Wonderful trip report, and I loved the video and additions. Especially the video, his face was priceless!
    I love the food network too! DH was jealous I saw both of them!

I can't help but laugh at that video everytime I watch it, I still can't believe I was able to capture it! Glad you loved it!