Moderate Resorts port Orleans is it worth it?
Instant Impressions Header
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Electric Light Parade
    Favorite Character
    The Swedish Chef!
    Credits

port Orleans is it worth it?

Hello all my wife and I are in our 30's with no kids and we are going to wdw in Dec. We spend most of our time in the parks and have always stayed at pop. I've heard por is really nice but is it worth the extra money? Any advice would be great or past experiences

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

Firechiefgoofy is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

My wife and I have stayed at POR. We are in our 20s and 30s and really enjoyed it. We have since bought DVC but still go back to the bar to see Yeehaw Bob at the resort.

Winkster is online now Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

POR is our favorite WDW resort. It's big with lots of tree-lined walkways, a big main pool and lots of smaller ones too. The marina is really attractive - as us the small boardwalk along the side of the river.

The rooms are fine - nothing amazing but comfortable. And don't forget the boat to DTD via POFQ (who's amenities you can also use).

The theming is there at POR but it's far more subtle than other resorts. There's a really laid back atmosphere about the place too which we love.

I'd recommend POR any day.

Having said all that, it really does depend how much time you'll be spending there. If it is literally just somewhere to sleep then maybe a value resort is better after all.

Personally, even for the strolls to the food court and back, I'd always stay at POR.

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

dsmolij is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Star tours
    Favorite Parade
    Holiday Parade
    Favorite Character
    Pooh Bear
    Credits

Re: port Orleans is it worth it?

We have stayed at POL FQ 4 times in the last 6 visits to WDW. I love the location, the atmosphere, the fact that it is one of the smaller resorts as well as the boat to DTD and to POLRiverside. Its cozy and very relaxing. I like that you can also walk to Riverside and back, and even the carriage rides too and from are nice as well. (for a fee) but for a couple it is romantic. My son and I did this as a special treat.

dsmolij's Lanyard
    Lady and the TrampBuzz Lightyear Astro BlastersMagic KingdomStar ToursWilderness Lodge

Curious Alice is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT, Soarin
    Favorite Character
    Alice
    Credits

We're a kid-free couple who usually stay at the Pop, too. But we have stayed at POR also. If you don't spend any time or eat at the resort, then maybe you should save your money and stay at a value resort.

But POR is much nicer than the Pop. Beautiful and romantic. We stayed there on our honeymoon. I much prefer it to the Pop, but we usually save the money. However, on our upcoming 4-night trip we decided to stay two nights at the Pop, then two nights at POFQ. A little of both.

Curious Alice's Lanyard
    Mad Tea PartyMad Tea PartyAlice
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14

Disneymouse872 is offline Cast Member
    Experimental Protoype Community Of Tommarrow
    Favorite Park
    Magic kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    EE, SM, SM, TT
    Favorite Character
    Nemo or Simba
    Credits

I think it is!! The place is really Nice and I think they recently renovated it! Great eating places and really friendly staff! I highly recommend it!

“Yes, frosting. The final defense of the dying.”-Peeta,The Hunger Games

SuperZMom is offline Junior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    WDW
    Favorite Character
    Malifiscent
    Credits

Ive never stayed at Pop, but I love POFQ. My husband and I always notice that the buses to and from the parks are always less busy at POR & POFQ compared to the values. To us, its worth the extra money to get back to the room quickly at the end of the night vs waiting for a dozen overly full buses.

SAHM to 3 wonderful kiddos (7, 6, and almost 1)
    WDW-POFQ Sept '09
    WDW-POFQ Sept '11

Future Trips:
    WDW-Dec '13
    Disneyland-Hopefully one of these days!

yankeesusa is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Hollywood Studios
    Favorite Attraction
    Tower of Terror
    Favorite Character
    Wall-E
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by SuperZMom
    Ive never stayed at Pop, but I love POFQ. My husband and I always notice that the buses to and from the parks are always less busy at POR & POFQ compared to the values. To us, its worth the extra money to get back to the room quickly at the end of the night vs waiting for a dozen overly full buses.
    Agreed. I've never stayed at port o but now thatoI know that some of the rooms fit 5 people and buses also aren't as packed as value it is definitely worth it. Especially with a discount.

yankeesusa's Lanyard
    Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDiva is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

Definitely worth the upgrade! Everything from more comfy beds, thicker towels and actual bottle of shampoo make a huge difference. POFQ actually has queen size beds while the POR has doubles if that makes any difference to you.

Disney_Lover_15 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Rockin' Rollercoaster/TOT
    Favorite Character
    Rapunzel/Tiana/Ariel
    Credits

We have gone to WDW 4 times. Once we had a condo, stayed at Pop Century the next 2 times, and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside the last time, April of this year. My whole family (mom,dad,little sister,and I) wish we could've stayed at Pop Century. POR is nice, but it felt like they dropped the resort in a camping lot. I never felt like we were at Disney while at the resort. I never felt the magic there like I did at Pop Century. I would save your money and go for the one that you like. I don't think I'll ever try a new resort because it has Pop Century to live up to. But that's just my opinion. Whichever one you choose, you'll be sure to enjoy it. Simply because you're at Disney

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Electric Light Parade
    Favorite Character
    The Swedish Chef!
    Credits

Disney_lover.....that's the problem I'm having now I ruled out por just cause of the money and the time we actually spend at the resort. I'm thinking about art of animation the price is about the same as pop but I'm not feeling the little mermaid rooms. It's never been one of my favorite movies so I'm torn lol I know its a good problem to have

Last edited by ChefMickey79; 05-09-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Disney_Lover_15 is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Rockin' Rollercoaster/TOT
    Favorite Character
    Rapunzel/Tiana/Ariel
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by ChefMickey79
    Disney_lover.....that's the problem I'm having now I ruled out por just cause of the money and the time we actually spend at the resort. I'm thinking about art of animation the price is about the same as pop but I'm not feeling the little mermaid rooms. It's never been one of my favorite movies so I'm torn lol I know its a good problem to have
    If I were you, I would wait for a year or two to go to AoA. Since it's new, it's going to be more expensive than the older resorts. I'm going to WDW in Sept. and I checked prices for Pop and AoA. Pop was about $1,000 cheaper than AoA. My advice is to let the AoA rage die down, check people's opinions of it, and try there for your next visit. That way it should be a bit cheaper than it is now,seeing as it's brand new.

dsyplanninmomma is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Attraction
    Toy Story Mania
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Lover_15

If I were you, I would wait for a year or two to go to AoA. Since it's new, it's going to be more expensive than the older resorts. I'm going to WDW in Sept. and I checked prices for Pop and AoA. Pop was about $1,000 cheaper than AoA. My advice is to let the AoA rage die down, check people's opinions of it, and try there for your next visit. That way it should be a bit cheaper than it is now,seeing as it's brand new.
    The value family suites are always going to be more expensive than a standard room in values. So waiting won't necessarily get the prices to come down. We switched from pop standard room to AoA standard room and it was only a $30 total difference for a week.

ShannyPooh70 is offline Mousketeer
    Favorite Park
    Hollywood Studios
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Light Parade
    Favorite Character
    Eeyore
    Credits

Port Orleans Riverside is a great resort. My husband and I love it. We enjoy walking over to the French Quarter and seeing Elliot Dyson in Scat Cat also the atmosphere is something that makes the place. I know you will enjoy it and it will become your favorite.

kravitze_mktg is offline Cast Member In Training
    Favorite Park
    epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    pirates of the caribbean
    Favorite Parade
    the electrical parade
    Favorite Character
    tinkerbell
    Credits

I think that port orleans is so worth it! I like the port orleans riverside is better then the french quarter cause of the theme !

kravitze_mktg's Lanyard
    Grand Floridian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast