Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar Land

Mike0510 is offline Cast Member
    Credits

Hi all, any news yet on the new Avatar Land expansion for DAK?

I wonder where it will be located, what attractions will be in there, when it will be open etc

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

robinjava is offline Junior Cast Member
    Credits

I'm don't know what I think about this

yankeesusa is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Hollywood Studios
    Favorite Attraction
    Tower of Terror
    Favorite Character
    Wall-E
    Credits

Is the expansion official yet? They may not even go through with it with gas prices going up. They may just be focused on finishing their current expansion of fantasy land.

Sent from my EvO 3D using TalkDisney

yankeesusa's Lanyard
    Animal Kingdom Lodge

Shadow Jedi Rhy is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Journey Into Imagination
    Favorite Character
    Figment
    Credits

Re: Avatar Land

This is still in the very blue sky phase, personally I hope it never happens b/c it's a huge waste on a property that doesn't fit in AK (or WDW) at all.

Shadow Jedi Rhy's Lanyard
    Epcot - Universe Of EnergyEpcot - Living SeasEpcot - Journey Into Imagination
    Go Noles! Ryan

Winkster is offline Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Jedi Rhy
    ...I hope it never happens b/c it's a huge waste on a property that doesn't fit in AK (or WDW) at all.
    Well said!!

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

brngbakdrmfndr is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Tower of Terror
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Jedi Rhy View Post
    This is still in the very blue sky phase, personally I hope it never happens b/c it's a huge waste on a property that doesn't fit in AK (or WDW) at all.
    I don't necessarily agree. While Disney's choice to bring in another franchise is questionable, environmental conservation is the obvious underlying theme in Avatar, which fits in nicely with the story Animal Kingdom is trying to tell. Plus it fills the mystical creatures niche that was originally planned for AK. While I question the longevity of the Avatar franchise, it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Credits

Any expansion of one of the parks must be considered a good thing. Populations are increasing and although the economic crisis has certainly affected attendances in the long term the parks are only going to get busier.

I say good luck to Disney for trying to keep things fresh and interesting.

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Journey Into Imagination
    Favorite Character
    Figment
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0510 View Post
    Any expansion of one of the parks must be considered a good thing. Populations are increasing and although the economic crisis has certainly affected attendances in the long term the parks are only going to get busier.

I say good luck to Disney for trying to keep things fresh and interesting.
    See, I disagree with this. Disney should not just be looking to expand for the sake of expansion, if so they lose a lot of what makes them different. This Avatar concept is strictly a knee jerk response to what Universal has done with Harry Potter, Universal got a new toy and it hurt some of Disney's profits so they went out to try and get a new toy, that is not what Disney does best, nor what it has done in the past.

On top of that we're still in a somewhat precarious economic situation, so I don't think with what I'm hearing on the news is $5.00 a gallon gas that this is the best time to go on a half a billion dollar spending spree on a largely unproven commodity in a park that already has to move its parade back to keep people in the park closer to closing time. How about a nighttime parade or World of Color like show to keep people at AK longer at a fraction of the price instead?

This is all obviously opinion but I think Disney could achieve its aims by spreading such a large sum of money around to all the parks instead of another huge capital investment off one movie that may or may not have staying power.

Go Noles! Ryan

Credits

Hi Shadow Jedi, giggled when I read your comment about the potential price of fuel in the US, we have been paying around 6 or €9 for a gallon of fuel for a few years now.

The AKL is actually the largest of the parks due to the safari areas but I agree that space is at a premium.

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Journey Into Imagination
    Favorite Character
    Figment
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0510 View Post
    Hi Shadow Jedi, giggled when I read your comment about the potential price of fuel in the US, we have been paying around 6 or €9 for a gallon of fuel for a few years now.

The AKL is actually the largest of the parks due to the safari areas but I agree that space is at a premium.

Yeah, I really don't envy what some folks pay for fuel that's for sure.

Go Noles! Ryan

RachaelK is offline Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash Mountain
    Favorite Parade
    Boo-to-You/TapestryNation
    Favorite Character
    Minnie
    Credits

I don't think Avatar Land is the best theme to go into AK , mind you the Dino theme isn't quite right either . They have Africa and Asia and there is many more continents that they could have used as a theme for fantastic area's for example Australia with a Great Barrier Reef exhibit - would fit in with the Nemo show . Antarctic would be a fabulous theme area , you could have the Matterhorn Bobsleds ride they have in Disneyland .
    I can't understand why they started with a good idea Africa + Asia and then they have made a hotchpotch of the rest of the park .

RachaelK's Lanyard
    PeoplemoverDowntown DisneyAnimal Kingdom LodgeHaunted Mansion

Freshee61 is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Dinosaur
    Favorite Parade
    Villains mnsshp
    Favorite Character
    Lewis Robinson
    Credits

I for one too am for the avatar theme if they ever decide to go through with it. It's funny that a lot of people on this site don't like this movie or etc when this movie was loved loved by so many. I liked the movie and think whatever disney has in mind to do with it at AK will turn out just fine.

Last edited by Freshee61; 02-22-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Freshee61's Lanyard
    Christmas - Haunted Mansion HolidayLady and the TrampSpace mountainArial and Prince Eric in Clam ShellHalloween - MinnieTower of TerrorPhilharmagicIts a small worldHaunted Mansion
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

HannahLeigh is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Splash Mountain
    Favorite Character
    Mickey
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by RachaelK
    I don't think Avatar Land is the best theme to go into AK , mind you the Dino theme isn't quite right either . They have Africa and Asia and there is many more continents that they could have used as a theme for fantastic area's for example Australia with a Great Barrier Reef exhibit - would fit in with the Nemo show . Antarctic would be a fabulous theme area , you could have the Matterhorn Bobsleds ride they have in Disneyland .
    I can't understand why they started with a good idea Africa + Asia and then they have made a hotchpotch of the rest of the park .
    I never quite understood that either. Africa, Asia, and DinoLand? Since when is DinoLand a continent?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

HannahLeigh's Lanyard
    Walt Dsney WorldAll Star Sports
    -HannahLeigh

yankeesusa is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Hollywood Studios
    Favorite Attraction
    Tower of Terror
    Favorite Character
    Wall-E
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Jedi Rhy

See, I disagree with this. Disney should not just be looking to expand for the sake of expansion, if so they lose a lot of what makes them different. This Avatar concept is strictly a knee jerk response to what Universal has done with Harry Potter, Universal got a new toy and it hurt some of Disney's profits so they went out to try and get a new toy, that is not what Disney does best, nor what it has done in the past.

On top of that we're still in a somewhat precarious economic situation, so I don't think with what I'm hearing on the news is $5.00 a gallon gas that this is the best time to go on a half a billion dollar spending spree on a largely unproven commodity in a park that already has to move its parade back to keep people in the park closer to closing time. How about a nighttime parade or World of Color like show to keep people at AK longer at a fraction of the price instead?

This is all obviously opinion but I think Disney could achieve its aims by spreading such a large sum of money around to all the parks instead of another huge capital investment off one movie that may or may not have staying power.
    I agree with you. Except for the part about fireworks at ak. They will never do fireworks there due to the animals.

yankeesusa's Lanyard
    Animal Kingdom Lodge

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Journey Into Imagination
    Favorite Character
    Figment
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesusa View Post
    I agree with you. Except for the part about fireworks at ak. They will never do fireworks there due to the animals.

See, I was thinking more on the lines of a large scale water show like World of Color from Disney's California Adventure except with maybe a bit more of an animal or even conservation overlay. I mean basically every Disney movie ever has had animals in it in some way, so maybe even focus on the animal sidekicks or something. Or if all else fails, they can always try a nighttime parade, I think anything that keeps people at AK longer than 3pm is probably a good thing and what Disney is really trying for. I also do agree with you that fireworks would definitely not be the best idea. I couldn't even imagine how something like Illuminations would effect animals

Go Noles! Ryan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast