We Need a Tomorrowland Revamp.... Badly!
DVC Resales Started
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    frybergh is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

We Need a Tomorrowland Revamp.... Badly!

Personally, I think that the entire Tomorrowland area, except for space mountain, peoplemover, carousel of progress, and indy speedway, is just embarrassing now. Tomorrowland isnt even about the future anymore. All it is, is a giant ad for recent disney movies. Think about it. They got rid of the timekeeper for monsters inc. (a terrible show, by the way) they got rid of alien encounter for STITCH. Parents are complaining about stitch even more than they did with alien encounter, so dont bring up the traditional "it is too scary" excuse. Also, buzz lightyear shouldnt even be there. It may be fun, but it doesnt have anything to do with the future. If disney wishes to keep these rides, just move them to another park, or make a new land, "pixarland", or something like that. They can move the rides to DHS near the toy story midway mania ride. They just need to completely revamp tomorrowland, and bring it back to what it is supposed to be- a glimpse of the future that never was.

And pardon my grammar and spelling mistakes. I am still getting used to my ipad's keyboard. Still though, if anyone agrees with me, please respond.

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

Re: We Need a Tomorrowland Revamp.... Badly!

Tommorowland certainly doesn't have the "glimpse of what can be" aspect that it used to have, but neither does futureworld at EPCOT.

I personally think this is due to the death of Walt, and Roy, bless him, did his best...but once it got passed on, "dreams of the future" really are not profitable...but rather folly...

It's interesting how it mirrors our society currently as well. Dreams of tomorrow are not of flying cars, or new places to live, or new inventions, rather it's of over-consumption and ecological destruction. Technology is verboten (unless it's used for education or marketing, then it's ok...like Test Track, where Autos are OK, cause it's GM!)

While it will never be what we remembered (I still wish they'd bring back Dreamflight (MK) and Horizons (EP), that's no reason to not enjoy what is there now.

As far as Stitch being scary, yes. It is the only ride my kid screamed to get out of, both in 2010 (at 5) and 2011 (at 6)...

I really think it's campy, and don't like it much (outside of laughing at my kid freaking out...and yes, I do laugh at her about it, cause she's the one who insisted we go!)

englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

Winkster is online now Administrator

Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT or the TTA
    Favorite Parade
    Tapestry of Nations (old)
    Credits

Sorry but I couldn't disagre more!

I love Tomorrowland - it's one of my favorite areas of MK.

I'm not fussed that it doesn't live up to it's name - I just love the kitsch nature of the whole area.

Leave well alone I say!

Winkster's Lanyard
    Hollywood StudiosDowntown DisneyEpcotMickey PlutoCarousel of ProgressSpace mountainPeoplemoverMonorail Pilot WingsBig ThunderPort Orleans
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster
    Sorry but I couldn't disagre more!

I love Tomorrowland - it's one of my favorite areas of MK.

I'm not fussed that it doesn't live up to it's name - I just love the kitsch nature of the whole area.

Leave well alone I say!

I agree with you, Tomorrowland is still my fairite part of the day, Don't get me wrong. What i'm saying is though, that most rides there arent really based on the area of the park. I think that they shouldnt get rid of the rides that arent based on the future in tomorrowland, but they should just "relocate" the rides to different parks. The rides are really good, but I just don't think they fit in with the theme of the land. Now, if WDW were to have a "Pixar" themed area of the park, (like in DHS) the rides can be moved there, and the non-pixar rides can be moved to "animation place" (at least, i think thats what ts called)

disneydaze is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    The Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Festival of the Lion King
    Favorite Parade
    A Dream Come True
    Favorite Character
    Mickey Mouse
    Credits

I do agree with you, to an extent, although it, is still one of my favorite areas of MK. Maybe it's next on the list for refurb, but clearly, you can have that and Fantasyland in shambles at the same time :-) being right next to each other. And I, too, really believe that Stitch's Great escape and the monsters inc attractions are the worse things that happened to Tomorrowland. I do like the BuzzLight year ride though. What's "line" is more futuristic than "to Infinity and Beyond." :- )

disneydaze's Lanyard
    Mermaid LagoonPeter PanMickey GearsSpace mountain

Curious Alice is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT, Soarin
    Favorite Character
    Alice
    Credits

I love the retro-futuristic look of Tomorrowland and hope it doesn't change.

I agree about Stitch and Monsters, Inc. They don't belong there. I also think both of those attractions are a waste of fun characters.

But I love Buzz Lightyear and I think it belongs just as much as Space Mountain. Space themes have always been part of Tomorrowland.

Curious Alice's Lanyard
    Mad Tea PartyMad Tea PartyAlice
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13

Tinker Britt is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Thunder Mountain
    Favorite Parade
    Fantasy and Spectro Magic
    Favorite Character
    Tinkerbell & Mickey Mouse
    Credits

I do miss rides like Mission to Mars and Dreamflight and the Skyway because I'm a nostalgic person. Because I was not a child when Buzz Lightyear and Stitch came out, I wasn't overly excited about the rides, but since they are from Disney Pixar movies, they kind of work as attractions. They will probably do a revamp in 5-10 years.

Tinker Britt's Lanyard
    Grand FloridianMary PoppinsWalt Dsney WorldLady and the TrampMickey and Minnie on Dumbo
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"
    Magical Disney Trips circa 1989
    1991*1994*1997*2003*2011*2013

englanddg is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    EPCOT
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Favorite Parade
    Main Street Electrical
    Favorite Character
    Goofy
    Credits

I don't think that the decor/architecture needs any sort of reboot. It's amazing.

I guess it's just the nostalgic aspect of my personality, but I really miss the older rides. I think Monsters (while I enjoy the show) and Stitch (which I don't) are a stretch there, and I sortof wish they'd bring back some "edutainment" rides to the area.

I really miss Disney's tongue in cheek way they would teach you while you rode, and the old dark rides were full of that in Tomorrowland and Futureworld. The new rides just don't seem to keep this up.

englanddg's Lanyard
    Mickey Cruise LineMonorailMickey GearsMonorail Pilot Wings LEHorizons
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLC | 2013 - Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ

Curious Alice is offline TalkDisney Team

Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    ToT, Soarin
    Favorite Character
    Alice
    Credits

The very first ride I remember at WDW was If You Had Wings, which was where Buzz Lightyear is today, I believe. I remember loving it. I also remember Mission to Mars very fondly.

I agree with englanddg that some "edutainment" would be nice, but it would have to fit in with the whole retro-future thing.

Curious Alice's Lanyard
    Mad Tea PartyMad Tea PartyAlice
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg
    Tommorowland certainly doesn't have the "glimpse of what can be" aspect that it used to have, but neither does futureworld at EPCOT.

I personally think this is due to the death of Walt, and Roy, bless him, did his best...but once it got passed on, "dreams of the future" really are not profitable...but rather folly...

It's interesting how it mirrors our society currently as well. Dreams of tomorrow are not of flying cars, or new places to live, or new inventions, rather it's of over-consumption and ecological destruction. Technology is verboten (unless it's used for education or marketing, then it's ok...like Test Track, where Autos are OK, cause it's GM!)

While it will never be what we remembered (I still wish they'd bring back Dreamflight (MK) and Horizons (EP), that's no reason to not enjoy what is there now.

As far as Stitch being scary, yes. It is the only ride my kid screamed to get out of, both in 2010 (at 5) and 2011 (at 6)...

I really think it's campy, and don't like it much (outside of laughing at my kid freaking out...and yes, I do laugh at her about it, cause she's the one who insisted we go!)
    I agree. Most people don't really notice it, but I believe disney has to do a little "retheming and rethinking". I think the rides are good (some of them, at least) and I think that the ones that dont have anything to do with the future should be relocated. And to what you said about our belief of the future, it doesnt have to be lthe fututure that we think is going to happen, but it is still interesting to see our nostalgic glimpses of the future, like flying cars, glowing cities, etc. we should return tomorrowland to its original plans; and that is to view the" tomorrow that never was". It doesnt have to be an exact glimpse of the future, you know?

brngbakdrmfndr is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Tower of Terror
    Credits

I disagree with the idea of having to re-theme the area. I think everything fits pretty well. The trouble with having attractions dealing with the future, is that the future usually catches up with us within a couple of years. Just look at the final scene in CoP. We have and use almost all of those "futuristic" gadgets in our everyday lives.

Instead of thinking of Tomorrowland as a futuristic Earth city, it is really themed to reflect a space port. And when you look at it as a space port, everything does fit (minus Monsters). Space Mountain is your "airport" which brings in travelers from other galaxies. The TTA is your transportation system, which is why you have the blue line, red line etc. which can be related to a subway system. And you even have robots scattered around reading the daily news and phone booths which call other planets. Everything in Tomorrowland is themed toward a city in space, not necessarily the future

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by brngbakdrmfndr
    I disagree with the idea of having to re-theme the area. I think everything fits pretty well. The trouble with having attractions dealing with the future, is that the future usually catches up with us within a couple of years. Just look at the final scene in CoP. We have and use almost all of those "futuristic" gadgets in our everyday lives.

Instead of thinking of Tomorrowland as a futuristic Earth city, it is really themed to reflect a space port. And when you look at it as a space port, everything does fit (minus Monsters). Space Mountain is your "airport" which brings in travelers from other galaxies. The TTA is your transportation system, which is why you have the blue line, red line etc. which can be related to a subway system. And you even have robots scattered around reading the daily news and phone booths which call other planets. Everything in Tomorrowland is themed toward a city in space, not necessarily the future
    You know, i never thought of it that way! Youre kinda right in that sense. Buzz lightyear, i guess, could fit. Sort of like the air force for the galaxy. But, i dont see where carousel of progress, stitch, or tomorrowland indy speedway fit in. Time travel for CoP, the highway for TIS, and a convention center for stitch? Not too sure about those. I'm not saying they need to retheme the area, the architecture is perfect, but i DO think they need to stop with the rides that are only advertising their new movies, you know?

brngbakdrmfndr is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Epcot
    Favorite Attraction
    Tower of Terror
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by frybergh View Post
    but i DO think they need to stop with the rides that are only advertising their new movies, you know?
    I agree with that 100%. Rides themed after recent movies are fine and have their place, but there has been a lack of original attraction ideas recently.

Minnie E. Mouse is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    All of them
    Favorite Attraction
    All of them
    Favorite Parade
    All of them
    Favorite Character
    Minnie Mouse
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by frybergh

I agree with you, Tomorrowland is still my fairite part of the day, Don't get me wrong. What i'm saying is though, that most rides there arent really based on the area of the park. I think that they shouldnt get rid of the rides that arent based on the future in tomorrowland, but they should just "relocate" the rides to different parks. The rides are really good, but I just don't think they fit in with the theme of the land. Now, if WDW were to have a "Pixar" themed area of the park, (like in DHS) the rides can be moved there, and the non-pixar rides can be moved to "animation place" (at least, i think thats what ts called)
    I completely agree. I feel as if Tommorowland is now just rides based off of the disney movies. Don't get me wrong, they're so much fun, but the rides Buzz LightYear: Space Ranger Spin and Stitch's great escape don't seem like the other rides, meant to be more futuristic. I think they could modify the rides, such as taking riders into the future. Just an idea.

Minnie E. Mouse's Lanyard
    Grand Floridian
    -Minnie E. Mouse

galaga_girl is offline Senior Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Mickey's Philharmagic
    Favorite Parade
    Once Upon A Dream
    Favorite Character
    Pluto
    Credits

I HATE the laugh factory Monsters inc attraction and don't understand why it is in Tomorrowland, actually I don't understand why it was invented at all! It is so unfunny and I really like Monsters Inc

---------------------------
    șoș
    Honeymooning at WDW in Sept 2012!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast