We offer a unique opportunity to our advertisers. Every day thousands of Disney
Walt Life Subscription Box
Get a assortment of delightful goodies from the most Magical place on Earth!
Potato Wrapped Snapper with Creamy Leeks from the Flying Fish Café at Disney’s Boardwalk
4 (6-ounce) skinless red snapper fillets
2 large russet potatoes
1/4 cup potato starch (potato flour) (available in gourmet or Asian section of your supermarket)
2 bunches leeks, whites only, sliced
1/2 bunch of fresh thyme
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup canola oil
4 ounces red-wine reduction (method below)
1. Season fish with salt, pepper. Cut potatoes into rectangles. Thinly slice potatoes. Soak in cold water; drain. Lay out 4 (12-inch-by-12-inch) pieces of plastic wrap. Place 4 pieces of potatoes across and 2 pieces up and down on sheets. Sprinkle with starch. Put fish in center. Bring plastic over fish to wrap potato around it.
2. In oven-safe, nonstick pan, heat oil to 300º F. Unwrap fish. Place in pan. When golden, turn. Put pan in 350º F oven. Cook 10 minutes. Drain. Season with salt, pepper. In pan, melt butter with thyme. Add leeks. Cook until soft. Season with salt, pepper. Add cream. Place fish on leeks. Finish with red-wine reduction.
Red Wine Reduction Instructions:
1. Heating oven to 500º F.
2. In pot over low heat, cook 2 diced onions, 1 sliced carrot, 1 head of garlic (halved), 1/2 of a leek in 1 1/2 ounces olive oil. Season with salt.
3. In oven-proof pan, heat 1 ounce of chicken bones in 1 ounce of olive oil. When bones discolor, place pan in oven. Roast until golden. Drain fat. Add 1 bottle of cabernet to vegetables. Cook until reduced in volume by half.
4. Add 1 gallon chicken stock, 1/2 gallon veal stock, roasted bones to vegetables. Bring to simmer. Reduce in volume, skimming often. Simmer 1 hour, 20 minutes.
5. Pour through fine mesh. Return liquid to heat. Cook until reduced to desired consistency. Season with salt, pepper and additional wine to taste. Pass through strainer again.
Yield: 4 servings
View ALL of our recipes CLICK HERE!
Also be sure to like our Recipes page on Facebook and Twitter!