Universal Orlando on Tuesday released details about the ride vehicle for Skull Island: Reign of Kong, saying it needed an entirely new and revolutionary way to transport guests into the middle of the adventure.
Officials said everything about the new attraction will be massive and a traditional off-road vehicle wouldn’t do. Instead, guests will board an expedition vehicle that will do what no other Universal ride vehicle can do.
- It’s a 40-foot long, 17-ton expedition vehicle that can handle 72 guests at once.
- It uses a sophisticated positioning system to navigate a rough, jungle road.
- The vehicle’s 45-inch wheels can be steered individually.
As guests board, they’ll meet one of five guides who will be their driver — each with a distinct personality, Universal Orlando said.
- Becky Callahan: The loose-cannon cowgirl who isn’t fazed by the dangers awaiting her on Skull Island.
- Will Denham: The fresh-faced, adventure-seeking younger cousin of famed movie director Carl Denham.
- Jinks Costanza: A hardened New York City ex-con who is wary of the island’s mysteries.
- Kalana: A mystical descendent of the natives who first settled on the island.
- Charles “Doc” Jordan: A PhD student in paleontology who took time off from his studies to explore the world.
Universal Orlando said more details about Skull Island: Reign of Kong are yet to be revealed.