Pepper Bacon Mac and Cheese
Farm Fresh Marketplace
Pepper Bacon Macaroni
- 1 pound macaroni
- 8 slices pepper bacon
- 1/2 cup diced white onions
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 3 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound (4 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 pound (1 cup) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 pound sliced American cheese
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 slices pepper bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For pepper bacon macaroni:
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook pepper bacon until crisp. Chop and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of grease.
- Heat grease in a medium-skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add onion, green pepper, red pepper and jalapeño. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, until vegetables are warm, but still crisp. Set aside.
For cheese sauce:
- Heat cream in large saucepan over medium heat. When it begins to simmer, slowly stir in all of cheese, mixing well to melt cheese.
To assemble and serve:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cooked pasta, vegetables and cheese sauce in a large bowl.
- Pour into a 9- x 13-inch baking dish and top with breadcrumbs. Bake 15 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onions and bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.