The new Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen restaurant soft-opened to guests at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom yesterday, reported Theme Park Insider.
Located in the old Adventureland Veranda space, this Jungle Cruise-themed table-service restaurant offers a variety of Asian- and South American-inspired fare, and includes the first in-park references in the United States to Disney’s Society of Explorers and Adventurers.
- Pho (rice noodle bowls), with duck $23, chicken $22, or tofu $20
- Grilled lamb chops – $25
- Char Siu pork – $23
- Curried vegetable stew – $17
- Steak salad – $18
- Skip’s Mac and Cheese (with ground beef and Bechamel) – $19
- Head-on Shrimp in chili-garlic sauce – $25
- “Dr. Falls Grilled Steak” (strip loin) – $34
- “‘Tastes Like Chicken’ – Because It Is!” – $23
- Arepas – $9.50
- Fish collar – $11
- Baladi salad – $9
- “Falls Family Falafel” – $8
- Hot and Sour soup – $7.50
- S.E.A. Shu Mai – $10
- Flank steak – $12.50
- Grilled fish – $11.50
- Chicken noodle soup – $10.50
- Arepas – $10.50
- Mac and Cheese – $9.50
Desserts (all $8 each):
- Coconut Bar with Pineapple-Basil Compote and Vanilla Cream
- Bertha’s Bahn Bong Lan Cake with Mango-Lime Sorbet
- Sugar-Coated Congee Pudding
- Kungaloosh! (Chocolate cake with caramelized bananas with cashew-caramel ice cream)
The signature drink is the “Schweitzer Slush” – “frozen apple juice and passion fruit topped with Bursting Green Apple Boba Balls, first concocted by the noted explorer Dr. Albert Slush.” It’s $5.50, or $14.50 when served in the Jungle Skipper Canteen souvenir mule mug.
The back story is that the restaurant is owned by Alberta Falls, the daughter of its late founder Albert Falls, who was a member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. The restaurant restores Dorthea Redmond’s interior design for the Verdana in its main dining room, with the addition of several themed side dining rooms.
The restaurant’s official opening happens Wednesday, and as of now, Disney is now yet taking advance dining reservations for the Skipper Canteen, though we have heard that it is accepting Tables in Wonderland.
Sid Philips is a father of two and a loving husband. He currently resides in Pennsylvania and has been a fan of Disney since his parents took him there in 1980! Sid has visited multiple Disney parks around the world and loves each one!
TalkDisney.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these.